Your Ad Here

Monday, July 2, 2007

Jacoby Ellsbury: Runs fast, speaks softly

The word "phenom" tends to be tossed around fairly liberally in baseball circles. It's a slang term used to describe a young talent who has exceptional skill. Well, I suppose that possessing the ability to run like Clark Kent in his prime earns you such a tag. Jacoby Ellsbury made his big league debut this weekend,and the 2005 first round selection of the Boston Red Sox showed why he is regarded as the finest athletic talent to come through the Boston system since the pre-Mia days of Nomar. Earlier today, I was part of a chat that the soft-but well-spoken rookie had with six or seven media members who surrounded him near his locker (which doesn't even have the official nameplate yet!).

Note: Joe Haggerty of Hacks with Haggs, the Boston Metro, ESPN radio and just about every other media outlet that exists in New England was in this media scrum as well. He asked the most pointed questions- regarding Ellsbury's speed, and what he learned from his time spent on an Indian reservation (the 23-year old is Navajo Indian). On a related note, Haggs offered this blog's first official "shout out", which is much appreciated.

Q: What’s the biggest difference between AAA pitching and the bigs?

Ellsbury: Everything happens a little quicker. Pitchers are making adjustments and hitters are making adjustments a lot quicker as well, so the adjustments, I’d say are the biggest difference.

Q: The center field at Fenway is so different than it is in Pawtucket (AAA) or Portland (AA)- Are you getting your bearings out there?

JE: I’ve been working on it. The dimensions are a lot different than most ballparks, but, just like any new ballpark, I try to get a feel for it as soon as possible.

Q: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve gotten from this locker room since you’ve been here?

JE: Just to go out and have a good time. Play like you have and have a good time. It’s the same game, (smiles) just a little bit more people watching. My first game- the drive up here I was more nervous than once I got to the field, once I got to the clubhouse, once I stepped on the field, I felt at home- I felt comfortable- a comfort zone. It’s been a great experience, big league debut at Fenway ballpark in front of a sellout crowd- ya know- a great experience.

Q: How do you feel your speed will help you (at this level)?

JE: It gets me on base. Infielders have a tendency to rush throws. They have to come up and charge the ball to throw me out. And defensively, it puts pressure on the defense. If I hit a ball in the gap, it forces them to rush their throw, and it can create extra base hits.

Q: Who are some of your idols growing up?

JE: Ken Griffey Jr. By far. Him being left handed, and being from the Northwest, being a center fielder,

Q: Players talk about their “welcome to the Big leagues” moment. Have you already had that, or are you still waiting for it?


JE: Getting that first hit. The standing ovation from the crowd was a great moment. Stepping on the field for the first time. There has been a lot of great moments so far. I’m still waiting to get that first win, that’s the biggest thing.

Q: Are the rumors of the 4.2 second 40-yard dash speed true?

JE: I’ve run a 4.2 (second) forty (yard dash), and a sixty as well. Six-two. I did it at scout day in college, I ran a 6.29 in the sixty (yard dash), but I haven’t run a forty of late.

Q: Have you picked up some speed since then?

JE: I think from the training I’ve been doing in the off-season, I’ve put on some weight (goes on to say that he hasn’t really gained weight, but has gained strength). I don’t know if I’ve gotten faster, but I’ve definitely maintained that. Maybe I’m a little bit quicker.

Q: What’s the toughest part of transitioning from college ball to pro ball?

JE: I’d say the toughest thing is preparing your body to play every day. Mentally and physically. That’s the biggest thing- you play three times a week in college, and in pro ball you play every single day.

Q: What are you passionate about, besides baseball?


JE: In the off-season, I like to relax. Golf. Not really do too much. I’m from a small town, just that small town atmosphere in the off season is what I like.

Q: Can you tell us how proud you are of your Navajo heritage?


JE: I’m very proud. I had the chance when I was younger to live on an Indian reservation. It opened up my eyes to a lot of different things. I’m definitely proud of it and I’m working with my mother, learning Navajo. My mother speaks it fluently, so I’m looking to improve on that.

Q: What kinds of things did you learn on the Indian Reservation?



JE: Just cultural differences. I mean, even my high school was a one third Hispanic, a third white and a third Native American, so from that perspective, you just see different cultures and how they interact, and language barriers, so at a young age I was exposed to it so it’s helped me out just to understand people from different nations. Latin communities and I think it’s a positive thing.

Q: How much did that help you when you got to the college level, and pro level?

JE: I’d say the biggest thing is just relating to them. Being open to them right away- introducing yourself, and then being comfortable with them. When you look around Major League baseball, there’s a lot of races and ethnicities, and its something that’s easy for me to deal with.

Note- After tonight's 7-3 victory over the Rangers, Terry Francona said that Coco Crisp will likely be ready to rejoin the Sox lineup on Tuesday, when the Sox host Tampa Bay. Crisp has been nursing a sprained thumb. According to Francona, Coco's thumb only "hurts when he first puts his glove on." The return of Crisp casts doubt on how much longer Ellsbury will enjoy his current stint with the big club.

Trivia question: Only one other major league baseball player in the last half-century is Native American. Who is he? (submit comment below- winner gets a tube sock)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Otis "my man" Nixon

The Lefty said...

Nope- any other guesses? Its a tough one. After doing a little more research, I know of two now, actually- both pitchers. Johnny Bench, Willie Stargell and Early Wynn are al partially Native American (1/8) or so, but I'm not counting them.

Anonymous said...

The answer is Bobby Madritsch...who could forget that sweet Dreamcatcher tatt that he rocked on the pitchers' mound for the Seattle Mariners before his shoulder blew up.

can I have an 8X10 glossy with your signature and a thank you for the special time we shared together instead?

Anonymous said...

Interesting fact I found when searching. The Cleveland Indians weren't directly named for Louis Sockalexis (a Maine native). The owner of the team asked local newspapers for a name and they chose "Indians" as a play on Boston "Braves". They had been informally called the "Indians" when Louis played, but this seems to be more of a coincident.

The Lefty said...

8 X 10 is on the way, anonymous. Madritsh is correct! The other regular MLB'er who could boast true Native American heritage was Allie Reynolds, who was one-quarter Creek Indian. The Yankee hurler was called "Superchief".

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/ballplayers/player.php?name=Allie_Reynolds_1915

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to all the american indians ever listed according to baseball almanac... They also list Dwight Lowry, Gene Locklear, and Jack Aker as native american players within the last 50 years....

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/american_indian_baseball_players.shtml

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.