Your Ad Here

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

eBay item of the Day: Hideki Irabu starting lineup


After the relative interest in my Pete Rose chewing gum post (a few sites linked to it, including this San Antonio columnist), I've decided to periodically post items that catch my eye from the internet's junkyard- eBay.

Today, we feature item #110147312799 - a Hideki Irabu Starting Lineup figurine. Beautiful. The seller sure is on the money with his pitch:

"UP FOR AUCTION IS THE 1998 YANKEES HIDEKI IRABO ROOKIE STARTING LINEUP OF THIS GREAT SUPER STAR"

Right now, the bidding seems to have stalled at $0.99. Lets see if we can push it over the $1 mark! What happened to these things? In my adolescent head (twenty years ago), I envisioned myself eventually parting with the plastic figurines in exchange for a briefcase of large, unmarked bills.

A quick glance at eBay reveals that my collection- still sealed in their Kenner time capsule packaging- is worth less than I originally bought them for. When you consider that the $7 I forked over at the time was usually 100% of my weekly income, the investment seems even more Worldcom-esque. Sure I can understand how my "Bip" Roberts isn't valuable enough to exchange for a new car, but by now, I figured my John Olerud rookie would at least be able to help me make a down payment on a mansion or a helicopter.

I suppose the only way to help these four-inch icons bounce back as financial commodities is to show the world that there is still a great interest in them. C'mon- lets see who can get this Irabu rookie back up into the $5 where he belongs! No? Okay, then at least leave me a comment telling me about your favorite starting lineups.

I'll start- I melted Al Toon in the microwave.

3 comments:

WHTN29 said...

My personal favorite was my 1987 Danny Manning LA Clippers starting lineup ... or maybe the 1989 Pittsburgh Steelers Bubby Brister one I posed with fellow wide receiver Louie Lipps

Brian said...

So tough to choose. '96 Ricky Bones in mid-delivery was fairly menacing. Although '88 Pete Incaviglia was as mustachioed as he was muscular. Ultimately... I'd go with '93 Chip Lohmiller. It's up and it's good.

Filthy Fowl said...

No player ever benefited more from his Starting Lineup figure than Pete Incaviliga. He was downright svelte when captured for eternity in plastic molding. Unlike in real-life when his giant arms were being powered by ribs and ice cream more than andro.